Traffic management measures to reduce post-Brexit disruption are back
Kent Resilience Forum (KRF), a partnership of local organizations and agencies, has announced that Operation Brock will return to the M20.
The diagram involves the use of a barrier to create a countercurrent between junctions 8 and 9.
It allows vehicles heading for the Port of Dover or the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone to queue on the motorway during peak periods, while other traffic can continue to move in either direction.
Trucks heading to the mainland are legally required to follow flagged routes when Brock is live.
Simon Jones, Head of Strategic Planning at KRF, said: “The Port of Dover and Eurotunnel are both reporting high booking numbers in July and August, with increased tourist traffic from Friday July 15 and Friday July 22 to Sunday. July 24 which is expected to be particularly busy as tens of thousands of families travel to Europe during the school holidays.
“Combined with routine freight and local traffic, as well as tourists traveling to our own great beaches and tourist attractions, we know Kent’s roads will be heavily used.
“KRF partners have agreed to implement Brock to ensure that while we need to step up the management of EU bound freight to protect local communities, keep Kent and goods moving as smoothly as possible and give people the opportunity to reach their destination quickly and safely during this period, we can do it quickly.
National Highways Regional Manager Nicola Bell said: “Together with our partners at the Kent Resilience Forum, we believe Operation Brock is the best way to enable communities and local businesses to go about their day-to-day business with minimal of disturbances.
“We have seen in the past how the movable barrier on the M20 works well, allowing a smooth flow of freight to Eurotunnel and the Port of Dover while ensuring motorists can get where they need to, whatever the weather. circumstances.
“We are committed to continuously monitoring the deployment of the barrier and removing it as soon as possible.
Need a long term solution
“In the meantime, I would like to thank everyone for their patience during this time and urge transporters to follow the signs on the M20 and stick to the official route.”
Work on national highways to move the barrier permanently to the central reservation will be suspended.
The barrier was first deployed in December 2020 and has been used intermittently since then.
Steve Gooding, Director of the RAC Foundation, said: “While Operation Brock may offer the best temporary solution available to help Kent cope with the traffic pressures of the summer getaway, there surely comes a time when this what is needed is a long term solution?
‘It doesn’t look like our desire to enjoy a summer getaway is going to go away anytime soon, and that means the challenge of coping with Kent’s seasonal port traffic warrants some creative new thinking if we’re not going to relive the same thing. old jams year after year.
READ ALSO: Rwanda: ‘Leftist Lawyers’ May Not Be Patel’s Main Obstacle to Sending Migrants