Who should prune trees and shrubs that hide traffic signs? – Company press


Question: Ron Fluitt from Yucaipa asked who is responsible for pruning trees or bushes that block the view of road signs.

A: Pruning any bushes or trees that block the view of road signs may depend on the location of the bushes or trees. If overgrown trees or bushes block drivers’ view of signs on a highway and the sight distance issue is on the Caltrans right-of-way, the public can send Caltrans a service request to remedy. to the situation. Here is the link for customer service inquiries: https://csr.dot.ca.gov/.

“We have maintenance crews who can usually do routine work or if it’s a large-scale tree or a tree, the maintenance has landscaping crews and a special team. trees that finish the job, ”Caltrans spokeswoman Terri Kasinga said.

Different cities may have their own policies and we certainly can’t ask every city in the Inland Empire what they would do about invasive vegetation, so we asked the people of Riverside for a local example. Gilbert Hernandez, spokesperson for the Riverside City Public Works Department, said the person or entity responsible for maintaining a tree or bush is also responsible for pruning it so that it does not block the visibility of drivers. If the offending tree or bush belongs to the city of Riverside, then the city can cut it down, he said.

“If the landscaping is owned by a resident or a business, we often work with code enforcement to provide notice to the owner for the landscaping to be trimmed. If the resident or company is unable to complete the work or if the work is not completed to our satisfaction, the city has the option of completing the work and billing the resident or company for this work. Hernandez explained.

Question: Mike Mangioni of Norco asked how many brake lights a vehicle can legally display without a ticket.

A: When it comes to brake lights and tickets, the two main issues seem to be whether they all work and whether the vehicle or combination of vehicles (such as a van towing a trailer) has the minimum number of taillights. required by law. Drivers can get a ticket – usually a serviceable ticket unless there are signs of neglect – if the brake lights don’t work, California Highway Patrol officer Juan Quintero said. You can also get a ticket if you are towing a camping caravan but the caravan lacks brake lights.

Section 24600 of the California Vehicle Code (Equipment of Vehicles, Rear Lighting Equipment) sets out the law regarding tail lights and the number of vehicles or vehicle combinations must have. Here is a summary of what CVC Section 24600 and some of its subdivisions say: “During darkness any motor vehicle that is not in combination with any other vehicle and each vehicle at the end of a set of Vehicles must be equipped with illuminated rear lights mounted on the rear as follows: All vehicles must be equipped with one or more rear lights. The CVC states that every vehicle (other than motorcycles) manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958 must have at least two tail lights; the exception is that trailers and semi-trailers manufactured after July 23, 1973 that are less than 30 inches in width may be equipped with a tail light mounted on or near the vertical axis of the vehicle. When two rear lights are required, at least one should be fitted on the left side and one on the right side, at the same level. The rear lights shall be red in color and ‘clearly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear, except that the rear lights of vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969 shall be clearly visible from all distances to the rear. less than 1000 feet aft. This section also discusses the heights of the lights and also states: “The additional tail lights on a tow truck should be on whenever the headlights are on.” “

Finally, as of December 6, drivers aged 70 and over can renew their non-commercial driver’s license online without visiting an office of the Department of Motor Vehicles until further notice. Licenses that expired on or after March 1, 2020, during the COVID-19 emergency are eligible, including REAL ID renewals. A mail option will be available soon as well. The DMV allows this during the state of emergency in California or until the order is changed. This is the latest move allowing senior drivers to renew online so they can avoid or delay visiting a DMV office. Visit www.dmv.ca.gov.

Are you going to work in the Inland Empire? Do you spend a lot of time in your vehicle? Have questions about driving, highways, toll roads or parking? If so, write or call On the Road and we’ll try to answer your questions. Please include your question or problem, name, city of residence, phone number, and email address. Write to [email protected] or call 951-368-9670.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.